Amanda Moshier’s “How To Write A Blog Post in 30 Minutes or Less” hit home for me – and not because it has anything to do with writing a blog in a half hour.
In addition to being organized, opinionated, and authentic, Amanda makes the point that good blogging involves dogged, persistent background work. She says, “Get outside. Read the news. Go on YouTube if that’s your thing. Talk to people.”
All that connectedness doesn’t happen in 30 minutes, of course. Rather it means keeping up with industry buzz by …
• following relevant groups on LinkedIn,
• subscribing to and scanning lots of trade and business publications,
• reading other bloggers in your field,
• keeping an eye on new developments via Twitter, and,
• my favorite, jotting down extensive notes (with links) as ideas occur.
As for staying current with pop culture? Buzzfeed makes that easier. If it’s contemporary or celebritorious (aka celebrity-focused), buzzfeed is probably featuring it. Warning: Buzzfeed videos can be very distracting. The end of the day – when work is finished – is a good time to browse this site.