From the day Google+ was released a few months ago, it has made quite an impact on the world of social networking. Many reports indicate that 50 million users signed up for the service within the first three months.
Yes, it’s true that there is still quite a gap between Google+ and Facebook and Twitter. However, Google helped to solidify the relevance of its social networking by releasing its Pages functionality this week.
If you are looking for ways to increase the effectiveness of your marketing efforts through social media, you should certainly take a look at whether a Google+ Page could benefit you.
Here are few things that we have learned so far that may help you in that process:
What You Might Like About the Page Setup Process
It is quite easy to do! You should be able to create a Page in a matter of minutes. Here are the main steps:
- Log-in to Google+
- Go to https://plus.google.com/pages/create
- Choose which category you would like to assign your Page to. Options include “Company”, “Product/Brand”, “Local Place”, and others.
- From there, you will simply need to enter in values for a few basic fields, including Page Name and Website URL.
Once your page has been created, take the time to fill out your profile. This may include:
- Using the “Recommended Links” section to share other URLs that are relevant to your business. This may include other social networks, a Newsletter Sign-Up form, and even a way for people to access an online storefront for products that you may sell.
- Take advantage of the content that can be entered into the “Introduction” field. Google+ provides plenty of space for you to share a compelling story about your company. You can also add links to relevant sites here as well.
- Utilize the “5 Photos” Area on the Home Page! This space does give companies a chance to be creative. When done properly, you can provide a great image of your company through the photos that you share there.
What You Might Not Like About the Page Setup Process
Google might certainly make changes to the items mentioned below sooner than later, but we just want you to be aware of them right now:
- There can only be one Page Administrator right now.
- It’s not exactly Facebook. This can be a good thing! We are all excited to see what opportunities Google+ may open create for businesses. However, since many of us are very familiar and comfortable with managing a Facebook Page, we may struggle a bit as we look around for similar capabilities within Google+.
One of the best, but yet, most challenging items of being in the world of social networking today is that things change very quickly. Many companies are still trying to figure out how to grow their business through Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn. Thus, some might look at the process of adding Google+ to their marketing mix as a burden.
However, we must keep in mind that success in marketing truly comes down to being where our customers and prospects are. In the case of the print industry, many of us are trying to reach marketing departments so that we can offer solutions to them. Google+ is already the home of a lot of forward-thinking marketing professionals!
Creating a Page now while the Feature is relatively new might give us a tremendous opportunity to increase awareness of our brand and attract some well-deserved attention!