This morning, I read a great article on how Stanley Steemer cleaned up its messy email and direct mail marketing and achieved:
- 33% increase in response rate (bookings) through its direct mail efforts,
- 200% increase in response rates from its first DM acquisition campaign, and
- 20% month-over-month increase in online bookings resulting from email.
Here are the steps it took:
1. Created a more strategic email campaign that includes 3 emails per month, both cross-marketing and providing non-sales tips and tricks for keeping a house tidy.
2. Freshened the design of the emails and improved the content.
3. Added segmentation beyond consumers and business/franchise segments to include customer behavior (opens and clicks), purchases, and responses to offers. For example, if a customer uses its carpet cleaning services, it might send an email for hardwood floor cleaning.
4. Brought its direct mail under the same marketing umbrella to provide better coordination.
5. Increased direct mail frequency to 9 pieces per year on a set schedule.
6. Added segmentation to include 10-20 demographic segments (such as customers who buy expensive furniture).
7. Because most appointments are booked over the phone, CSRs take customer email addresses and send appointment confirmations and reminders.
8. Added a trigger program for incomplete or canceled online orders.
This is a great checklist for your own clientele, and it’s a recipe any MSP should be able to follow. After all, sometimes the simplest changes produce the most profound results.