Looking for some stats on multichannel marketing, the value of print, and mobile marketing to throw into presentations, pepper your client conversations, or include in your print marketing or e-newsletters? Here are some interesting data I’ve run across recently that you might find useful.
- Omnichannel shoppers have a 30% higher lifetime value than those who shop using only one channel. (Google)
- 90% of customers expect consistent interactions across channels. (DM News)
- Brands can increase their ROI by 19% just by going from one channel to two, and up to 35% when using 5 different channels. (Statista)
Despite these numbers, Direct Marketing News reports that 55% of companies have yet to put a cross-channel strategy in place.
- 79% of consumers indicated that they preferred reading on paper vs. reading on screen. (Two Sides)
- 90% of students prefer hard copy for schoolwork; this rises to 92% for longer texts (Educause)
- Direct mail requires 21% less cognitive effort to process than digital information, making it easier to process and understand. (Canada Post / True Impact)
- Print results in higher brand recall. When asked to cite the brand of an ad they had just seen, in a study conducted by Canada Post / True Impact, recall was 70% higher among participants who were exposed to a direct mail piece (75%) than to a digital ad (44%).
- Readers are less distracted in print. Only 1% are likely to multitask when reading print, compared to 90% who multitask while reading digital channels. (Words On Screen: The Fate of Reading in a Digital World)
- Nearly one-third of marketers’ media spending (29%) remains on direct mail. (Winterberry Group)
- Target Marketing’s 2016 Media Usage Survey reports similar results — 28.5% of media budgets being spend on direct mail. 25% of respondents see their spend on direct mail increasing.
- 58% of marketers are using direct mail for customer acquisition and 55% are using it for customer retention. (Target Marketing)
- 47% of marketers say they will increase or maintain their direct mail spend in 2016; 14% plan to increase it and 33% plan to maintain it. (Statista)
- 65% of executives visit a marketers’ website after having watched a video. (Forbes)
- Using video on web pages increases conversion by 80%. (Unbounce)
- 60% of marketers plan to increase or maintain their video marketing spend in 2016. (Statista)
- 32% of marketers plan to increase it. (Statista)
- Spending on online and mobile video is up 85% in the past two years. (IAB)
- 53% of US consumers who follow brands on social media are more loyal to those brands. (Comperemedia)
- 78% of people say that companies’ social media posts influence their buying decisions. (Comperemedia)
Put all of these stats together and what do you get? We live in a multichannel world, and one that includes both digital and hard copy channels. MSPs need to be prepared to talk to their clients about how these channels need to work together, and how digital doesn’t supplant hard copy and why. Data are powerful, and they tell an objective story that is hard to argue. Know your data, and be prepared to put it in front of your customers and prospects.